The Cairns Art Gallery invites budding artists between the ages of 5 and 18 to submit a portrait for the Young Archie 2021 competition.
The exhibition of 25 finalist works will be held at the Courthouse at the Cairns Arts Precinct from 31 March – 1 May 2020
100 works receiving honourable mentions will be presented as a digital exhibition on the Gallery’s website and prizes will be awarded to one artist in each age category for the finalist exhibitions.
Entrants must reside in the Cairns Regional Council Shire.
Prizes are provided with thanks to sponsor ANZ bank.
What? When? Where? How? Who?
- Interested participants are to create a portrait on paper of a person who is important to them or significant in their life.
- One entry per participant
- Completed artwork is to be no smaller than A4 and no larger than A3 and must not be mounted or framed
- Artwork can be vertical or horizontal and can be any combination of art materials (paint, pencil, paper collage, pastels etc) but must be two-dimensional
- 2 January 2021 - Competition opens & Application Forms available on our website
- 28 February 2021 - Closing date (entries to be received by 5pm)
- 9 March 2021 - Finalists announced
- 31 March 2021 - Prize ceremony at the Court House at the Cairns Gallery Precinct
- Finalists will be framed and displayed in the newly refurbished Court House
- Winners will be presented with an ANZ gift card at a special award event to be held at the Cairns Gallery Precinct
- Entries to be photographed and provided to Cairns Art Gallery for judging by 5pm 28 February 2021
- Finalists will be advised on 9 March 2021 and will need to deliver or post their artwork to the Gallery by 21 March 2021
- The Young Archies is open to artists in the following age groups
- 5 to 8 years
- 9 to 12 years
- 13 to 15 years
- 16 to 18 years
- The competition will be judged by Gallery Director Andrea May Churcher and artist Andrew Bonneau, himself an Archibald Prize finalist
- Winners will be presented with an ANZ gift card at a special Young Archies award event at the Cultural Precinct
IMAGE: William O'Connell, age 12, 'Not' my brother | Finalist 9-12 years from the AGNSW Young Archies 2020